Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Bewitching

I just finished Son of a Witch, by Gregory Maguire, and found it to be an intriguing book. I never quite knew where the story was going which could have been confusing but I found it to keep the story captivating. There were a few loose ends I would have liked tied together or at least gone in to greater depth. Essentially this is a self discovery story and we follow the coming of age of Liir, who may or may not be Elphaba's son. Liir's story begins where Elphaba's ends in Wicked and immediately thrusts him into situations and journey that leads him into what feels like a series of accidental activism. It is almost as though he finds causes to fight for that are the key to unlocking a piece of himself.

I would have really liked to have learned more about Nor and Candle. We never really meet Nor, who may have been Liir's sister, but find out bits and pieces (perhaps another spin off book?) and I was quite disappointed on this point. There was also very little development of Candle when she was clearly deeply ingrained in Liir's story. The thought that nags me is that they may have been the same person but nothing every really relates them.

Overall I did like the book, but again, wished for more. Wicked is a hard act to follow and certainly set the bar high for related stories such as this.

On the nightstand now is a break from the fantasy that has been all I have been reading for quite a while. My mom gave me Resistance by Anita Shreve. The book is set in World War II Belgium and has started off with an American plane crashing in a small town.

No comments: