Friday, May 30, 2008

Better as a movie?

I am always wary of saying a book would make a great movie. There is always so much that is lost in translating the fabulous images in your head that are created by the words presented by the author, but in the case of Resistance: A Novel by Anita Shreve I actually think the movie version would be wonderful if done right.

Please do not think that I did not enjoy this book, I certainly did. It was by far one of the quickest reads I have had in a long time. I adored the characters of Claire and Ted who are thrown together in the uncertain circumstances of WWII Belgium. I have always been fascinated by stories set in WWII and this is no exception. Ted is an American bomber pilot that crashes in Claire's home town in Belgium. Claire and her husband are members of the resistance movement to the occupying Nazi forces and are charged with saving the pilot from the Nazi's. Through the course of events Claire's husband must go into hiding to protect the movement. Ted and Claire's relationship evolves (and so does the story) in to a romance.

There are so many possible points that went under-developed and the story is weaker for it. I also believe that since this is how most books-turned-movies end up there is so much potential for a wonderful movie. Movies can visually convey information in ways that a book cannot. And for that reason I can imagine further plot development through looks, glances and panoramas that currently are only imagined in my mind.

I am in the process of moving and I realized as I finished this book faster than anticipated that I am with out something to read...only magazines at the moment. I am sure there may be a book yet to be packed, but perhaps a trip to the library in order. Who knows what I will read next...your guess is as good as mine.

No comments: