Monday, May 28, 2007

Daughter of Fortune

Yesterday I finished Daughter of Fortune by Isabelle Allende. I was originally intimidated by the thickness of the novel, but in fact I finished it in ten or so pre-sleeping reading sessions. I did take it along with me on my train ride into the city to visit with a friend because I was so close to finishing and had to find out what might happen next.

The book started a bit slow in the build up, but around the moment you think the story is starting to get tedious it takes off like a rocket and whirls you through an intricately woven tale of love, social expectations, the California gold rush and family secrets.

There was one or two moments where I literally was shocked in to saying "Holy Crap" because Allende really drops bombshell revelations into this fantastic story. There are several interwoven stories all integral to the novel. One common theme is that of women struggling with their 19th century existence and wanting more. So many of the female characters fight the traditional role of women during the time and not with out consequences (mostly social) but with some personal satisfaction in spite of the norm.

I was certainly not expecting to love this novel based on my lack of interest in early North/South American history. However, Allende so masterfully creates a tale that taps into the raw emotions and racial tension that it is impossible not to immerse yourself in the life of the characters.

1 comment:

BookGal said...

If you liked that one, you'll love The Infinite Plan. She interweaves the plots and characters while writing superbly.